(photo credit) Tom Bihn
Lifefactory Glass Water Bottles
WHY? TO KEEP MY ALKALINE WATER FRESH
I’ve recently acquired a water filter that turns my tap water into alkaline water. My water tastes soooo smooth and delicious and clean and fresh! I’m blessed to live in a part of Canada that has non-fluorinated clean water, so it’s simple to convert it into a delicious alkaline water.
I didn’t realize how much better alkaline water is until I got off my butt and got my filter. My daily sips of water tastes better; green tea tastes better; herbal tea tastes better; coffee tastes better. My sole-brine tastes better. We’re talking heaps better. Oooh-wee!
my alkaline water ceased to taste better as it sat in my steel-water-bottle all day. It got this odd metallic aftertaste by afternoon. It’s infinitely better tasting than a plastic water bottle, but still.
What to do? I searched for an alternative and found it. I am now a happy owner of many glass water bottles. No more metallic after-taste!
I researched about glass water bottles for days before I found my fantabulous glass water bottles, including the Lifefactory one (above pic). I love it! I also like my Starbucks Takeya glass bottle….my Flaska glass water bottle…my reusable Voss glass water bottle….and more. Scroll down to see where my research took me:
LIFEFACTORY GLASS WATER BOTTLE
I have this stylish and convenient glass water bottle — a 22oz (650ml) glass bottle with a sunny orange silicone sleeve to protect the glass from Lifefactory. I bought mine at the Vancouver-based Water Matters, but you can find retail locations here (including Whole Foods). I’m not going to lie, I really wanted a raspberry silicone sleeve but this colour only comes in a smaller bottle size. *sigh*
Here’s the goods on Lifefactory’s Glass Beverage Bottles:
- BPA, phthalate, PVC, latex, lead, and polycarbonate free (chemical free)
- clear soda lime glass with no chemical leaching and no metallic taste
- wrapped in a modern silicone sleeve that’s free of plastics and 100% non-toxic
- widemouth bottle make it easy to add ice, citrus slices, and makes it easy to clean.
- silicone sleeve provides a great gripping surface and helps to prevent breakage
- dishwasher safe
- 16 oz beverage bottles (6 colours)
- 22 oz beverage bottles (6 colours)
- 4 oz or 9 oz baby bottle with nipple (9 colours)
- 9 oz beverage bottles with cap for kids (4 colours)
- glass bottles are custom made in France
- silicone sleeves are made in United States
- polypropylene plastic caps are made in Poland.
- glass and plastic parts are recyclable
- silicone sleeves can be sent back to Lifefactory where it can be re-ground to make outdoor playground mats or mats for barn animals.
I know, I know…it’s glass and I’m a klutz! Lifefactory does sell replaceable glass bottles (and even caps if you loose them). This glass bottle is quite sturdy — it’s not delicate like a tumbler, rather it’s more like a tall glass jar. So yes, it’s not exactly the lightest bottle out there but it’s sturdy!
Even better, the Vancouver-based eco-friendly company Lavish & Lime shows off this glass bottle’s resilience in this great youtube video that demonstrates how durable the silicone-sleeve glass bottle is by dropping the bottle on slate steps! Watch here.
Here are some other glass water bottles I found while researching:
LULULEMON PURE BALANCE GLASS WATER BOTTLE
I recently (February 2012) went into Lululemon to peruse the new running line, when I saw their new Pure Balance glass water bottle. This 19.5oz glass water bottle has a silicon sleeve that comes in violet (above), pink, or blue. Perhaps they’ll have different colours as the seasons change.
It was a good size, much lighter than the Lifefactory bottle. However, I still prefer my Starbucks glass water bottle (scroll down) because I like its pop-up lid that’s attached to the rim.
With screw-on type lids, like this Lululemon one, I’ve lost the lid by misplacing it somewhere, or I’ve accidentally screwed the lid back on improperly which led to water leaking into my bag. Gasp!
On the other hand, the Lululemon and Lifefactory ones I own hold waaaaay more water than the Starbucks one, which makes it more useful.
[EDIT: Oct.2012] FLASKA GLASS BOTTLE
These Flaska glass water bottles come straight out of Europe. Oh la, I’m going to try this one out – I like the sleeve! Apparently the 16.5oz glass bottle is made with “glass programming” which restructures the water and enhances its quality — you apparently end up with a softer taste of water. It’s made from extra-thick tempered glass, which I’m always looking for in glass bottles since you’d want a sturdy one.
You can choose the sleeve — or “sock” — that you wish. They even have an eco-friendly version called Flaska Organic with an organic cotton sleeve and a cork cap. There’s also neoprene sleeves imbedded with Swarowski crystals, or imprinted with butterflies, flowers, raindrops, vines, etc.; classic sleeves in black, blue, or orange, and more! See their webshop for all the choices HERE.
Check out their sites: Flaska North America HERE…Flaska Europe HERE….Flaska UK HERE….
I really enjoy using my Flaska glass water bottle. It has a hot pink sleeve imbedded with sky-blue butterflies and adorned with Swarowski crystals. Yup, it’s pretty bling. Uncorking my bottle is always interesting, because it looks like I’m going to have an apertif midday. The “lid” is really a cork-like contraption! Only…I wish the cork was attached to the sleeve because I have misplaced it here and there. Erm, I’ve always found it but one day it may just roll out into the ether on me! The scuba-diving- suit-material that makes up the sleeve is sturdy and fabulous and feels comfy in my grip…and no slips! Best of all the “glass programming” truly does make my alkaline water tastes softer (if you like that kind of water taste).
[Edit: Nov 2012] BKR GLASS WATER BOTTLE
I just discovered the BKR glass water bottle (pronounced “beaker”) at this fancy shmanshy pharmacy in my city the other day. The photo above does not do this bottle justice. In my hands, the BKR is a gorgeous, stylish jewel of a glass water bottle.
The silicon sleeve comes in the most glorious array of jewel tones that just pop. I luurve their colour names: Night (purple-black)….Kitsch (neon orange)…Betty (plum fuschia)…True (electric blue)….Lush (blue-green teal)…Velvet (oxblood burgundy–hello, people, the colour of the season)…Jelly (candy purple)…Fog (grey)…Canary (yellow)…Surf (tropical blue)…Candy (pink)…Smith (green apple)…Crush (coral)…Jet (black)…and Julep (emerald teal). My favourites are Velvet — such gorgeous indulgence!, and Canary (happy sunshine).
The BKR glass bottle is 500mL (16 oz) with a silicone sleeve and retails at $28 US. It has a food grade polypropylene cap + silicone gasket. It is FDA approved, BPA-free, BPA replacement free, phthalate free (woo hoo!). It has a small one-inch opening for no-spill sipping. It apparently fits most cup holders – 3.18 inches wide, 7.88 inches tall. It’s lightweight (I longingly cradled it at the pharmacy), and 100% reusable + recyclable. Plus you can safely clean in the dishwasher. Kudos to BKR’s philanthropy — portion of proceeds benefit the Obakki and Canary Foundations. Oh, if you accidentally break it in the first 90 days, BKR will replace it for you (conditions apply, of course).
Find a retail location (USA, Canada, UK, Indonesia — the latter is random!) near you HERE. Otherwise, order it online HERE. I found them at Finlandia Pharmacy in Vancouver, Canada…oh how I want one! But I have some lovely glass water bottles in use already. I hope you try it, let me know how you like it. You can even by them at Chapters/Indigo in Canada.
I really want this one with the heart – it’s call Momo Heart. HERE.
CAMELBAK eddy GLASS WATER BOTTLE
Ah, Camelbak finally has their own glass water bottle. It’s called the ‘eddy™ Glass.’ You can get it wherever you find Camelbak for $32: LLBean, Amazon, REI, Camelbak Canada, Camelback USA.
* Naturally BPA-Free * Lead-free glass * .7L water bottle won’t retain odors or tastes * You can sip without tipping thanks to our patented flip-top bite valve technology * Silicone sleeve that adds protection * Available in 4 colors (Lime, Aqua, Charcoal, Purple) * Dishwasher safe *
BAMBOO BOTTLE COMPANY
I want! I like the idea of having this protective bamboo exterior. Plus, its pretty stylin’! It’s shame it’s only found in the US 😦
- created by outdoor industry veterans
- bamboo is sleek, durable, stylish and renewable
- bamboo outer acts as a natural insulator for hot/cold beverages and protects the glass
- easily removable, dishwasher-safe, 60 percent recycled, durable glass interior
- BPA-free glass interior
- wide mouth for easy cleanup
- cap, bottom made from BPA-free plastic
- 17 oz @ $25.00 US
- Buy online here @ The Bamboo Bottle Company
TAKEYA GLASS BOTTLES
Takeya, a Japanese design company, has these beautiful modern glass bottles. I love the frosty look of their silicone sleeves. Very sleek and modern.
- dishwasher safe
- free of any toxic chemicals.
- silicone jacket provides soft grip & protects the glass bottle
- airtight leakproof twist cap
- bottle & silicone are dishwasher safe
- Modern Glass Water Bottle (pictured right): 18oz (5 colours)
- Classic Glass Water Bottle (pictured left): 22 oz (5 colours)
- Classic Glass Water Bottle (pictured middle): 16 oz (5 colours)
- Buy online here @ Takeya, or at Amazon, or MedPodium.
For more GLASS BOTTLES (from Starbucks, Faucet Face, Kerplunk, Tkaro, Bottles Up, and Libre (under the cut):
Read Full Post »