I ♥ BEDTIME RITUALS
I adore the quiet of the night. I’m quite the night owl…but I’m also an odd duck because I wake up early in the morning and don’t need a lot of sleep to feel energized and refreshed. I inherited this from my mother — we only need about 5 hours of sleep.
So, in the night, before bed I do have a ritual. It’s not entirely fixed, but it does help my brain realize that, yes, it’s time for sleep and dreams. It’s calming to have a ritual, no?
1) MEDITATION: I use a guided mediation app and meditate for 5-15 minutes before bed. I light candles and sit on a cushion with palms up on my knees, rather than lie down. I alternate between guided meditations from Calm or Insight Timer.
2) GRATEFUL JOURNAL: I write down at least 10 things that I’m grateful for that happened that day. From little things such as having a sunny day, to a easy-going commute, to coffee in the morning, to larger things to be thankful for such as a contract coming through or good health news from the doctor. How to start a Gratitude Journal HERE.
3) TAPPING: No, not tap-dancing, rather I do a short lap of a tapping (also called Emotional Freedom Technique – EFT). You basically tap the pressure points pictured above, in a correct order. This tapping releases stress and brings me back into a balanced emotional state. I use Nick Ortner’s The Tapping Solution HERE.
4) CLEANSING FACE: Ah, this step is crucial…like a mini-spa session every evening.
Step 1: I take off my makeup with organic coconut oil.
Step 2: Clarisonic Brush + foaming face wash. I’m currently using Shiseido Benefiance Extra Creamy Cleansing Foam, but I prefer the one by Juara. Sometimes when I’m too sleepy, I use L’Oreal Paris Gentle Micellar Solution because there is no need for water — you just run a cotton ball of micellar solution round your face and it cleanses deeply.
Step 3: Facial serum. Currently using Vichy’s ProEVEN Overnight Concentrate Serum.
Step 4: Moisturizer. I use Vichy’s Aqualia Thermal Night Spa Moisturizer because I have dehydrated dry skin.
Step 5: Eye Cream. I use Clinique’s All About Eyes cream.
*These last two steps I do once in the bed:
Step 6: Lip Balm. I slather on lip balm so I wake up with smooth lips. Currently using Badger’s Classic Organic Lip Balm in Lavender-Orange.
Step 7: Hand Cream. I’m using L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream.
5) TEA OR WINE. Depending on the day, a glass of wine or a mug of herbal tea is lovely to wind down with. Apologies, I’m not a brandy or scotch person.
6) BRUSH TEETH & FLOSS. I have an electric toothbrush and I prefer using the white-paste toothpaste, not at all the gel.
7) BATH. Often I take a hot bath with Epsom salts. I WISH my baths were actually like the picture.*sigh*
8) SLEEPY SOUNDS. Yes, it may annoy a bit…but for me and my sleepy-time wellbeing I do it anyways. I listen to the Sleep Pillow Sounds app to fall asleep. My preferred sounds are: rain or ocean waves or crackling fireplace or city street noise (weird, I know).
9) THE BED. That is not my bed but what a lovely image. Anyways, so, I must be a tactile person because the firmness of the mattress and the smoothness of the sheets matter to my comfort and sleep. I have the best mattress — not too firm but definitely not too soft. I have the best pillows – those huge memory-foam bamboo pillows that mould to the shape of your head. We have the Egyptian-cotton sheets, but lately I prefer the bamboo sheets. I feel they are softer and cooler to the touch and crazy smooth. Aahhhhhhhh. Down comforter completes it.
10) THE WEAR. Even in the coldest nights of winter, I still wear a silk chemise to bed. It just feels more luxurious and special. The exquisite lace details, the pearl sheen of the beautiful silk, the slip and feel of silk against skin is ah-mah-zing. My favourite ones are by Christine Lingerie, and I’m very traditional on the colour — preferring my silk in grey-pearl, ivory-pearl, or black.
Now it’s time for ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..