There are many a reasons turmeric is good for you, and some of them may be hooey and not proven by Western medicine (if that’s your barometer for safety) but there are some centuries-proven knowledge as well:
* Has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties that keeps infection at bay
* Elders in India who eat a ton of turmeric in their curry meals have a low rate of getting Alzheimer’s disease.
* Okinawans in their Blue Zone are amongst the longest surviving peoples on the earth (and healthy!) and they apparently drink tons of turmeric tea — something the mainland Japanese don’t do.
* It also is said to detox the liver, slow down metabolism, relieve stress and even depression, ease arthritis, repairs cuts and burns topically, aid digestion, settle an upset stomach, and relieve a sore and irritated throat.
* Dewy skin 1: Blend 1/2 tsp turmeric into 3 tbsp plain yogurt. Put this mask all over your face. Leave on for 5-10 minutes. Wash off. Glow.
* Dewy skin 2: Blend in a teeny pinch of turmeric (not too much or you’ll stain your skin a mustard-yellow) onto your night cream before smoothing it over your face.
My favourite way to get my turmeric on, is to make a soothing and creamy turmeric tea. There are many types of turmeric tea recipes out there, but I prefer this version which is a melding together of various recipes. Enjoy!
CREAMY TURMERIC TEA | single serving | (adapted from Mark’s Daily Apple)
*Recipe below the cut, along with other turmeric tea recipes*
Gently heat 1 cup of milk (I use almond milk). While heating the milk, in a mug mix 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp turmeric powder + dash cinnamon + dash cayenne + 1 tsp agave syrup + 1 tiny pat of Earth Balance (it doesn’t really do anything since the intent is to use real butter, but I put it in there to be all hardcore Po Cha –– it’s all psychological, I know).
You could also add or replace with: Grated fresh ginger | Cracked black pepper | Honey (best if its Manuka Honey) | 2 crushed cardamom pods | Pinch cloves | Pinch nutmeg | Coconut milk | Dried mango powder | Lemon | Ghee | Pat of Butter.
Turmeric Tea | Meghan Telpner
cinnamon + clove + nutmeg + fresh ginger (optional) + turmeric + water + raw honey + milk sub. (Get recipe HERE)
Turmeric Tea | Shubhra Krishan
organic milk + turmeric + freshly grated ginger-root + cracked black pepper + cinnamon stick. (Get recipe HERE).
Turmeric Tea with Lime | Season with Spice
boiled water + turmeric + lime or lemon juice + sugar. (Get recipe HERE).
Turmeric Tea | Dr. Weil
water + turmeric + honey + lemon + ginger. (Get recipe HERE).
Turmeric Milk | Perfect Morsel
almond milk + turmeric + black pepper + honey + green cardamom pods (optional) + cinnamon stick (optional). (Get recipe HERE).